Sunday, November 8, 2009

SPIbelt - an inexpensive and clever way to carry a runner's essentials




SPIbelt: http://www.spibelt.com/

I received an offer for a sample SPIbelt, a storage pouch invented by a woman named Kim Overton who had trouble transporting her keys during her runs. My SPIbelt arrived in October and I started using it during my long weekend runs when I wished to carry more than the ID and $5 bill that I'd slip into the small pouch of my running pants. Despite what you call it the SPIbelt is not much different than a fanny pack but the SPIbelt design is superior for athletics. I decided the real test would come during the Cape Cod Marathon Relay when I would run well over an hour with it but before I did that I wanted to get a feel for the device and make sure it wouldn't interfere with my run.

First Impressions
The SPIbelt is a pouch that connects to a stretchable/sizable belt that clips securely behind the runner's back. The pouch itself is made of a stretchable fabric that expands impressively to accommodate multiple items, some as large as a flip-style cell phone. The design of the belt holds the pouch close to the body and, with proper tension, the items are held securely to the body with no bouncing or movement to distract the runner. The zipper pull on the pouch is large enough to allow easy access while running and the position of the zipper is designed to open at the top to prevent items from falling out when the zipper is opened during a run. I found that I could place items collectively weighing up to ten ounces without noticing the unit during a run. It did take a few tries to find a balance in tension on the belt between too tight and too loose but it was simple to adjust and change to accommodate positioning, layers, etc. One properly positioned the SPIbelt was completely transparent to the experience and I've found myself forgetting to take it off after a run a number of times.

Experience in Use
My first impressions of the SPIbelt were positive, I could put a small package of energy chews, a compass and the remote FOB from my car into the pouch, along with an ID card, cash or a credit card. The position of the pouch and the fabric prevented any sweat reaching the items. I've had more than a few experiences where I've pulled damp, wet dollar bills from my running pants pocket to buy water after a vigorous run in Central Park so this was a welcome change.

I often run with my iPhone positioned in an arm band holder but occasionally I prefer to take along my other, smaller phone. I've found that placing that phone in the pouch does not impact my motion or balance and I suspect that it would be much easier to answer a phone that's in a zippered pouch than one that's tightly held on my arm within a sleeve. I experimented with the pouch a week before my relay during a hill training session where I ate energy chews during the workout and I found the process of accessing them very easy.

The Relay experience was similarly positive, I packed everything but a phone since I was using the iPhone with MotionX GPS to track my route. I forgot I was wearing the SPIbelt until I was making my way up a hill during my second leg and really felt I needed a boost. I remembered that I had a package of Luna Moons and after consuming a couple on the go I was good to go for the completion of the leg.


Conclusion
The SPIbelt is the best solution I've seen for runners who wish to carry small items during a run without distraction. The line of SPIbelts includes dual pocket belts, belts with inner pockets, water bottle holders and race number belts. There is a wide variety of colors including reflectives with prices ranging between $11.95 and $29.95. It's a useful item that has become part of my long run gear. Theses are inexpensive devices relative to their utility that would make a great holiday gift for any runner.


This review by The Emerging Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spammer comments will not be published

Moji Knee - Field Test

Website: GoMoji

View more news videos at: http://www.nbcchicago.com/video


The Moji Knee
is is an innovative system for athletes who are looking for a way to ice a knee injury without giving up any mobility. We received a sample unit from the company so that we could perform a field test during race and then test under less rigorous conditions.

Our original plan was to field test the Moji cold compression system during a 180+ mile relay run over a 24-hour period. We quickly encountered a problem keeping the Moji's frozen gel cold cell frozen as it needed to be transported without a cooling source for three hours prior to the race. Over this duration, the cell thawed and it was no longer cold enough to use. So, the first lesson is that it's important to use the Moji system within 20 to 30 minutes of removal of the cell from the freezer.

Due to this limitation the first Runner's Tech Review field test with the Moji was performed a week later, by two women who had completed a grueling hike/run. One of the reviewers was suffering from severe knee pain and the other utilized the system solely for preventative joint maintenance. Let's call the first reviewer A and the second B.

A had been using frozen ice packs off and on throughout the day before transitioning to Moji. She immediately declared it a significant upgrade and remarked that she particularly appreciated the simultaneous application of cold to both sides of her knee. In addition, A found she was able to comfortably move around the house while wearing the Moji. As someone who experiences chronic knee pain, A indicated an interest in investing in a Moji (or two -- as she experiences pain in both knees).

B used the Moji after hiking, running, and playing soccer. She cautioned against wearing the Moji on a bare knee without first thawing the gel pack a bit. Since B used the Moji as a preventative measure only, it was difficult to judge its effectiveness over a short duration of time, but, like A, she also indicated it evenly distributes cold temps across the entire knee, except for the backside. Since B's leg is slim, she didn't feel comfortable walking around because the Moji tended to slip down her leg, but it is important to note that the sample that was provided was sized for a larger person.

Both reviewers had difficulty correctly putting on Moji without referring to the instructions and both agreed that the device is made of very high quality materials. Other observers remarked about the quality and 'professional' appearance of the Moji Knee. The packaging was attractive and the reusable storage bag was useful for easy and clean transport.

The third test was performed by an active runner who used it to treat some minor knee pain and as a preventive measure after distance runs. The Moji Knee was easy to set up and it provided excellent cooling around the entire knee for the first 30 minutes. Once the gel began warm up from contact with the knee it became far less effective. It was also difficult to tighten the brace enough to keep the cold directly on the targeted part of the knee, especially when walking. Another benefit for the design is that it can be wrapped around the upper thigh to provide support and cooling to the quadriceps muscles.

Overall, we recommend the Moji as a high end therapeutic tool for those with chronic knee pain. Anyone undergoing physical therapy for the knee will find it extremely useful, and it could surely be worn during electro stim treatments. Just be aware that it won't be adequately cool for use after more than an hour outside of the freezer. For those who'd like to use Moji in situations where access to a freezer isn't available there is another product we didn't review, called Moji to Go, that might fulfill your needs.

The Moji Knee retails for under $85 and is available at http://www.gomoji.com/

Emerging Runner Labs Rates "MixMyGranola"

Website: MixMyGranola

MixMyGranola can be described as Web 2.0 for food. Consumer generated content on the web that you can eat. Interesting yes, but is it a good experience? I took it to the Emerging Running Advisory Board to see what they thought about this product. The raters were me, Sedentary Man and Adventure Girl and our rating criteria were based on quality, taste, freshness and value.

According to their website, the company started when the founders concluded "none of the ready-made granolas that [they] could find in supermarkets and grocery stores really fulfilled all of [their] granola dreams. They created MixMyGranola.com to allow customers to custom-make their own granola mixes.

I was happy to try it out. Raoul from the company provided a gift certificate that allowed me to create a pound of mix. There was a dollar limit so I needed to constrain my choices to allow me to choose a combination of ingredients that added up to less than the amount of the gift certificate so I could reserve for shipping. The MixMyGranola website is attractive and the process is made very clear. You choose your base granola and then choose dried fruits, nuts and grains. You can even choose non-traditional mix-ins like gummy bears although I can't imagine a person who is so interested in good granola would make such an unhealthy choice. But the Emerging Runner is not here to judge the customers, just the company.

The selection process was simple and I liked the fact that, with each step, you understand both the cost and the nutritional makeup of your choices (calories, fat, fiber, etc.). I chose a mix with a muesli base, dried strawberries, dates, walnuts and pecans. I entered my personal data, the certificate code and then submitted. I received an acknowledgement of my order and my mix showed up a few days later by Fedex in an attractively designed tube.

I divided the mix up and gave portions to SM and AG and asked them to rate it based upon the above criteria. On a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being best) the three of us scored it as follows:

Quality: 4.7
Taste: 3.7
Freshness: 4.3
Value: 2.3

Impressions:

OVERALL
(ER) “I liked that I could specify every ingredient and I also liked the quality of the ingredients. Flavor (muesli) was slightly bitter and would have benefited from some balancing sweetness (dried fruit helped a little). I wished that I had chosen a granola base. Value questionable - can you justify paying $12/lb to get exactly what you want versus paying $8-9/lb at a high end market for a good quality mix?”

(AG) “Good website, fun process, nice packaging. Excellent fruit and overall quality. I think MixMyGranola is something I’d purchase as a treat or for consumption during a special race or event, not for everyday consumption and training.”

Criteria

QUALITY
(AG) “Definitely top-notch, as reflected in the below comments regarding taste and freshness.”

(ER) “I don’t have many points of comparison but this seems to be very good stuff. The pecans were huge and there was a generous amount of mixed-in ingredients.”

TASTE
(AG) “The muesli had a pleasant, oaty flavor that helped to counteract its dry, dusty nature. The fruit contributed the most vibrant flavors. The dates and strawberries alike were perfectly sweet, although I might have preferred more of both. The pecans were very good and counterbalanced the sweet fruits, although might have been better if toasted (roasted?).”

(ER) “I did not care for the muesli’s flavor but the rest of the ingredients tasted great. I added some brown sugar and heated the mix and I liked it much better.”

FRESHNESS
(AG) “Here MixMyGranola surpassed any other granola I have had recently. The fruit, in particular, wasn’t overly desiccated as you often find with dried fruits. Instead, they were moist and almost reminiscent of the texture of gummy bears. The strawberries were a quite surprisingly jewel-toned red that didn’t deviate too far from the natural color of a strawberry to be suspicious. The oats were too dry, but I think this is their nature. I added half of my portion to milk, and that improved the experience dramatically.”

(ER) “Certainly fresh, no complaints about that.”

VALUE
(AG) “The price is prohibitively steep. I think silver is trading at approximately $12 a pound, and this granola exceeds it by a few dollars. I might be willing to pay $15 for an entire pound of the delicious strawberries, but I think the sticker price is too high for a mix.

(ER) “Unless you are a dedicated granola fan with very little free time I question the cost against the work to buy high quality ingredients like these and mix them yourself. All the same, it’s a fun experience and a high quality product.”

 

blogger templates | Webtalks