Monday, April 11, 2011

Karhu Fast 2 Fulcrum: Two firm opinions

Men's Karhu Fast 2 Fulcrum_Ride
Karhu Fast 2 Fulcrum Ride 
MSRP: $130.00  http://www.karhu.com/

4/18/2011 UPDATE: http://www.emergingrunner.com/2011/04/karhu-fast-2s-live-up-to-their-name.html

The Emerging Runner and Adventure Girl have been independently testing the Karhu Fast 2 Fulcrum, the Finnish shoe company's newest neutral performance shoe. We did not compare notes until the end but we found ourselves primarily agreeing on how we view these shoes. What follows are our individual impressions along with our collective assessment.

The Emerging Runner's take on the Fast 2 Fulcrum
When it comes to running gear I'm definitely a shoe person. When assessing a running shoe I tend to start with high hopes. I figure that when a company puts serious research into its product their shoe is likely to have some upside. Sometimes this proves out and sometimes I end up disappointed. I've become increasingly interested in minimalism and that has changed my expectation for running shoes. I now look for a shoe that provides: 1) reasonable protection from the ground, 2) a minimal drop between the heel and front and, 3) a relatively low profile. My experience running in the Saucony Kinvaras supports this view. However, every runner is different and every shoe has its fans.

When Karhu sent me a pair of Fast 2 Fulcrums I was excited to try them out. According to Karhu this shoe is targeted to the "race training focused runner seeking a highly responsive running experience." That sounded promising. I watched this video on the Karhu site and was further intrigued.



Karhu is known for its high performance shoes that use "Fulcrum" technology to help move the runner along. The negatives I'd heard about the brand were that the mid-foot fit on some models tended toward the narrow. I asked for a pair of Fast 2 Fulcrums a half size up from normal and that was a good call.

First impressions (before running)
Out of the box these shoes, in iridescent chartreuse with yellow highlights, are both garish and beautiful. They look fast and weigh less than I thought they might (10.1 oz.) based on my first view. No matter how you feel about the fit and performance of the Fast 2 Fulcrums, you cannot argue that the quality of the materials and construction are superb. With running shoes you get two first impressions. The first is when you take them out of the box and put them on for the first time. The second and more relevant measure is when you take them out for a run. More on that later.

The Fast 2 Fulcrums fit me well enough, snug but not tight in the midfoot and toebox, with very slight slippage around the heel. This may be because I'd ordered size 11's vs. my normal 10.5's. Tighter lacing near the top took care of that. Standing in the Fast 2 Fulcrums for the first time was interesting. I'm used to the Kinvara that stands 21 mm at the heel with about a 5 mm ramp angle to the toe height. The Fast 2 Fulcrums stand a towering 36.7 mm with almost 12 mm of drop. Karhu builds a "fulcrum" wedge into the mid-sole in front of the arch that supposedly promotes forward motion. I thought that the fulcrum felt a little unnatural as I walked across the floor for the first time. Still, the shoe was perfectly comfortable and I reserved judgment until I ran.

Putting the Fast 2 Fulcrums to the test
My first report on Emerging Runner stated: "While the Kinvaras are light and very flexible on toe-off, the Fast 2's are very stiff at the front. Far stiffer than any other shoe I own." The Fast 2 Fulcrums seemed to loosen up after repeated runs but I still consider it a stiff shoe. I had hoped for a zippy feel when I hit the street but neither the fulcrum nor the rigid forefoot returned energy like other shoes I've tried. I began to question whether this shoe was a good match for me when I crested a hill and on the way back down felt my stride disrupted. It was as if the shoe and my foot were trying to travel on slightly different vectors. My mental picture at that moment was of a grocery cart with a misaligned wheel. Subsequent runs on the treadmill were better but my satisfaction when running in the Fast 2 Fulcrums never quite matched how I feel when running in the Kinvaras, Grid Tangents or Brooks Adrenalins.

My comments on one such run: "That [doesn't] mean the shoes failed to perform, in fact they took everything I threw at them. It was really about the feel compared to my Kinvaras and GTS-10's that move more naturally with my foot." My last street run with the Fast 2 Fulcrums confirmed that while the Karhu is a good shoe it doesn't really work for my style of running: "I decided to try some quick acceleration to see if the shoe transformed to a quasi-racer when run at higher cadences...The Fast 2's didn't give me the feeling of speed. In fact, during "speed play", they felt less stable than when I ran at my normal pace."

Conclusion
I'll admit that I'm biased against the high ride and the firm forefoot of the Fast 2 Fulcrums. Both attributes run counter to what I look for in a running shoe. The shoe is substantial and its build quality and materials are top notch. The Fast 2 Fulcrum's cushioning is very good considering its relatively light weight. However, though I had hopes of using it as a racing shoe, I found the lack of response from the Fast 2 Fulcrums disappointing. As a general athletic shoe I think they're fine. I've had more than one satisfactory run with the Karhu's on the treadmill and I like wearing them on the elliptical machine. I may even take these shoes out on the road on occasion for a change of pace. However, in the end, the Fast 2 Fulcrums felt neither fast nor agile. Other reviewers may disagree with me (I've seen a couple that do). Fast 2 Fulcrum may provide the desired characteristics that a different runner values. If you are a runner who prefers a low flexible racer trainer you may find this too much shoe for you.

Adventure Girl's take on the Fast 2 Fulcrum
Karhu's marketing of their neutral Fast 2 Fulcrum is honest without embellishment. Their website states that the Fast 2 Fulcrum is for the runner desiring a "firm and responsive ride". True to its name, Karhu has moved the fulcrum of this shoe forward in order to encourage quick stride turnover. The first time I put these shoes on I was tempted to rock back and forth from my midfoot to my toes because the fulcrum point makes a natural rocking motion. And that's exactly what this fulcrum position is encouraging you to do while running--roll forward onto your toes while striding.  This is done to quicken your stride rate and shift you towards forefoot striking.

Woman's Karhu Fast 2 Fulcrum

I haven't yet attempted to transition to a forefoot style of running but every run I've taken with the Karhus has made me conscious of my midfoot landing in a way that seemed to sometimes gently (and sometimes not so gently) nudge me towards a forefoot strike. If I were to exaggerate the sensation of the fulcrum transition I would describe it akin to the sensation of falling forward. The nudging made it feel very much like the Fast 2 Fulcrum's were actively training me. This training was appreciated when I went out for a run with fresh legs, but on the few runs where my legs were less responsive the fulcrum rocking and forefoot encouragement seemed more than I could handle.

Karhu also bills this shoe as firm, which is immediately apparent. Most of my runs have both a sidewalk and a trail component. On the sidewalk I was stuck by the cushioning presence of firm foam between my foot and the concrete. Since I normally run in the minimal Saucony Kinvara this additional protection was surprising. The Karhu foam, however, doesn't provide a sense of springy-ness, but instead dampens the feel of the running surface. For all its cushioning, the Fast 2 Fulcrum weighs in as mid-weight at 9.1oz (for a point of comparison the Kinvara is 6.7oz).

On the trail portion of my runs I found the Fast 2 Fulcrums to perform moderately well on flat, well-packed trails, but it didn't prove to be rugged enough for rocky, slippery, or steep trails. The tread on the Fast 2 Fulcrum isn't very pronounced and the model isn't billed as a trail runner, so the lack of performance on difficult terrain was not unexpected or disappointing.

The woman's Fast 2 Fulcrum is an arresting shade of orange, with yellow accents and sole. I felt conspicuous on the streets while wearing these shoes. At midday this made me self-conscious, even to the point of once deterring me from wearing the Fast 2's when I was meeting a fellow runner I didn't know well. However, at both dusk and dawn, it made me feel more visible to traffic (i.e. safer).

Conclusion
The Karhu Fast 2 Fulcrums will not become my go-to daily trainer, because the fulcrum rocking added unnecessary work to my run and it wasn't a natural fit with my strike and stride. If I decide to make a concerted effort to move toward forefoot striking I think the Fast 2 Fulcrums will be an excellent training shoe to encourage and speed that transition.

Summary

What's Good:
  • Quality of materials and construction
  • Well ventilated upper
  • Light weight
  • Fulcrum technology enables mid-foot landing
  • Highly visible
What could be improved:
  • Forefoot responsiveness
  • Lateral stability
  • Bulk
This review by the Emerging Runner and Adventure Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spammer comments will not be published

Moji Knee - Field Test

Website: GoMoji

View more news videos at: http://www.nbcchicago.com/video


The Moji Knee
is is an innovative system for athletes who are looking for a way to ice a knee injury without giving up any mobility. We received a sample unit from the company so that we could perform a field test during race and then test under less rigorous conditions.

Our original plan was to field test the Moji cold compression system during a 180+ mile relay run over a 24-hour period. We quickly encountered a problem keeping the Moji's frozen gel cold cell frozen as it needed to be transported without a cooling source for three hours prior to the race. Over this duration, the cell thawed and it was no longer cold enough to use. So, the first lesson is that it's important to use the Moji system within 20 to 30 minutes of removal of the cell from the freezer.

Due to this limitation the first Runner's Tech Review field test with the Moji was performed a week later, by two women who had completed a grueling hike/run. One of the reviewers was suffering from severe knee pain and the other utilized the system solely for preventative joint maintenance. Let's call the first reviewer A and the second B.

A had been using frozen ice packs off and on throughout the day before transitioning to Moji. She immediately declared it a significant upgrade and remarked that she particularly appreciated the simultaneous application of cold to both sides of her knee. In addition, A found she was able to comfortably move around the house while wearing the Moji. As someone who experiences chronic knee pain, A indicated an interest in investing in a Moji (or two -- as she experiences pain in both knees).

B used the Moji after hiking, running, and playing soccer. She cautioned against wearing the Moji on a bare knee without first thawing the gel pack a bit. Since B used the Moji as a preventative measure only, it was difficult to judge its effectiveness over a short duration of time, but, like A, she also indicated it evenly distributes cold temps across the entire knee, except for the backside. Since B's leg is slim, she didn't feel comfortable walking around because the Moji tended to slip down her leg, but it is important to note that the sample that was provided was sized for a larger person.

Both reviewers had difficulty correctly putting on Moji without referring to the instructions and both agreed that the device is made of very high quality materials. Other observers remarked about the quality and 'professional' appearance of the Moji Knee. The packaging was attractive and the reusable storage bag was useful for easy and clean transport.

The third test was performed by an active runner who used it to treat some minor knee pain and as a preventive measure after distance runs. The Moji Knee was easy to set up and it provided excellent cooling around the entire knee for the first 30 minutes. Once the gel began warm up from contact with the knee it became far less effective. It was also difficult to tighten the brace enough to keep the cold directly on the targeted part of the knee, especially when walking. Another benefit for the design is that it can be wrapped around the upper thigh to provide support and cooling to the quadriceps muscles.

Overall, we recommend the Moji as a high end therapeutic tool for those with chronic knee pain. Anyone undergoing physical therapy for the knee will find it extremely useful, and it could surely be worn during electro stim treatments. Just be aware that it won't be adequately cool for use after more than an hour outside of the freezer. For those who'd like to use Moji in situations where access to a freezer isn't available there is another product we didn't review, called Moji to Go, that might fulfill your needs.

The Moji Knee retails for under $85 and is available at http://www.gomoji.com/

Emerging Runner Labs Rates "MixMyGranola"

Website: MixMyGranola

MixMyGranola can be described as Web 2.0 for food. Consumer generated content on the web that you can eat. Interesting yes, but is it a good experience? I took it to the Emerging Running Advisory Board to see what they thought about this product. The raters were me, Sedentary Man and Adventure Girl and our rating criteria were based on quality, taste, freshness and value.

According to their website, the company started when the founders concluded "none of the ready-made granolas that [they] could find in supermarkets and grocery stores really fulfilled all of [their] granola dreams. They created MixMyGranola.com to allow customers to custom-make their own granola mixes.

I was happy to try it out. Raoul from the company provided a gift certificate that allowed me to create a pound of mix. There was a dollar limit so I needed to constrain my choices to allow me to choose a combination of ingredients that added up to less than the amount of the gift certificate so I could reserve for shipping. The MixMyGranola website is attractive and the process is made very clear. You choose your base granola and then choose dried fruits, nuts and grains. You can even choose non-traditional mix-ins like gummy bears although I can't imagine a person who is so interested in good granola would make such an unhealthy choice. But the Emerging Runner is not here to judge the customers, just the company.

The selection process was simple and I liked the fact that, with each step, you understand both the cost and the nutritional makeup of your choices (calories, fat, fiber, etc.). I chose a mix with a muesli base, dried strawberries, dates, walnuts and pecans. I entered my personal data, the certificate code and then submitted. I received an acknowledgement of my order and my mix showed up a few days later by Fedex in an attractively designed tube.

I divided the mix up and gave portions to SM and AG and asked them to rate it based upon the above criteria. On a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being best) the three of us scored it as follows:

Quality: 4.7
Taste: 3.7
Freshness: 4.3
Value: 2.3

Impressions:

OVERALL
(ER) “I liked that I could specify every ingredient and I also liked the quality of the ingredients. Flavor (muesli) was slightly bitter and would have benefited from some balancing sweetness (dried fruit helped a little). I wished that I had chosen a granola base. Value questionable - can you justify paying $12/lb to get exactly what you want versus paying $8-9/lb at a high end market for a good quality mix?”

(AG) “Good website, fun process, nice packaging. Excellent fruit and overall quality. I think MixMyGranola is something I’d purchase as a treat or for consumption during a special race or event, not for everyday consumption and training.”

Criteria

QUALITY
(AG) “Definitely top-notch, as reflected in the below comments regarding taste and freshness.”

(ER) “I don’t have many points of comparison but this seems to be very good stuff. The pecans were huge and there was a generous amount of mixed-in ingredients.”

TASTE
(AG) “The muesli had a pleasant, oaty flavor that helped to counteract its dry, dusty nature. The fruit contributed the most vibrant flavors. The dates and strawberries alike were perfectly sweet, although I might have preferred more of both. The pecans were very good and counterbalanced the sweet fruits, although might have been better if toasted (roasted?).”

(ER) “I did not care for the muesli’s flavor but the rest of the ingredients tasted great. I added some brown sugar and heated the mix and I liked it much better.”

FRESHNESS
(AG) “Here MixMyGranola surpassed any other granola I have had recently. The fruit, in particular, wasn’t overly desiccated as you often find with dried fruits. Instead, they were moist and almost reminiscent of the texture of gummy bears. The strawberries were a quite surprisingly jewel-toned red that didn’t deviate too far from the natural color of a strawberry to be suspicious. The oats were too dry, but I think this is their nature. I added half of my portion to milk, and that improved the experience dramatically.”

(ER) “Certainly fresh, no complaints about that.”

VALUE
(AG) “The price is prohibitively steep. I think silver is trading at approximately $12 a pound, and this granola exceeds it by a few dollars. I might be willing to pay $15 for an entire pound of the delicious strawberries, but I think the sticker price is too high for a mix.

(ER) “Unless you are a dedicated granola fan with very little free time I question the cost against the work to buy high quality ingredients like these and mix them yourself. All the same, it’s a fun experience and a high quality product.”

 

blogger templates | Webtalks